What is a Bullet Journal?
A Bullet Journal is a type of modular framework that allows organizing task lists in a specific and result-oriented way. The definition of a bullet journal would be an agenda of listings that can include months, days and other categories that we feel like documenting in the notebook. They also call it rapid logging and its advantages are that normally when we write too much in regular diaries or journals, we end up giving up keeping a daily record, but with this system everything is much easier and more appealing.
This system, also referred to as BuJo for short, was created by Ryder Carroll. What began as a very personal system of organization developed to overcome the limitations caused by the ADHD suffered by Carroll, was unexpectedly very successful. A good planner helps us avoid becoming functionally overwhelmed like when we have too many things going on at once, and we only get the bare minimum done, but we still don’t get rid of the feeling of being overwhelmed.
Your bullet journal can consist of different sections but there are some basic ones that most of them share, which are: Index, daily logs, monthly logs, future logs and covers for the most creative minds. Most users like to write down and organize or schedule payments, tasks, events and random notes about them. The author assures that it is a simple method to apply and so flexible that anyone can adapt it to their needs and personality. Nowadays it has become such a popular hobby, that many brands offer products specifically for it. Not to mention the thousands of tutorials online to customize your journal and get creative ideas.
Some of the benefits of Bullet Journals:
- You don’t need to invest a lot of money when you first start, you can even use an old notebook and a pen.
- There are no limits on the design and it’s very flexible, focusing on what’s more important to you: Work, hobbies, school, etc.
- It helps you be creative; you can draw, use bullet points, write vertically, make diagrams, use different colors or add different types of decorations.
Some cons of Bullet Journals:
- You either have to be or become a very organized person, to actually give it some efficient use. Many people like the idea but they stop using it after a couple days or weeks, or simply forget to write down things.
- Having too much freedom can be an issue for some people, there are so many possibilities that you can’t decide how to start or what style to opt for.
- If you want to buy the “official bullet journal” by Ryder Carroll, it can be a bit expensive.
As you can see, the cons are minimum and can easily be solved by planning what you want for your journal. If you are not a very organized person, it doesn’t mean you can’t do it, it will simply require a bit more consistency and putting more effort into it until you get familiar with the system. It’s definitely a good option to try at least once and see if it works for you.